Pasta with sausage and kalePrint This
- ½ cup (125 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
- 400 g/14 ounces pork sausage, casings removed
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/4 cups (300 mL/250 g) chopped fresh kale
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 500 g dry rigatoni or other short pasta
- 120 g (1-1/2 cups/375 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium-high heat.
Meanwhile, in a large, heavy frying pan, heat oil over high heat and cook sausage meat, breaking it up with a spoon, until well browned, about five minutes.
Add onion and continue to cook for another five minutes. Then add kale, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing ingredients together, for three minutes more. Sprinkle with the pepper flakes.
Add pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente, just beginning to become tender. Drain pasta, reserving ½ cup (125 mL) of the pasta water, and return pasta to the pot.
Add the sausage mixture to the pasta along with the grated cheese and the reserved pasta water, mixing everything together. Serve at once, topped, if desired, with more grated cheese.
Quick pasta dinner with kale and sausage!